Montgomery Hall, Room 124
P.O. Box 43700
Lafayette LA 70504
- 2004: Ph.D. [Analytical (electrochemistry/Medicinal Chemistry], Ohio University, Athens, OH 45701. Thesis title: “Interdependence of Endothelium Dysfunction and the Lifespan of the Cardiovascular System” supervised by Prof. Tadeusz Malinski
- 1996: M.Sc. (Physical Organic Chemistry), Alexandria University, Alexandria, Egypt.
- 1985: B.Sc. (Chemistry), Alexandria University, Alexandria, Egypt
- Aug. 2014 - present: Associate Professor, University of Louisiana at Lafayette, LA
- Aug. 2011- 2014: Assistant Prof., University of Louisiana at Lafayette, Lafayette, LA
- Complete list of Professional Experience
Awards and Honors
- April 2018: Eminent Award, Dr. Ray P. Authement Excellence in Teaching, University of Louisiana at Lafayette, LA
- February 2018: Outstanding Faculty of Universities of Louisiana System 2018.
- Fall 2017 - present: Member in University Senate
- 2017: Awardee of Awardee of Royal Society of Chemistry Books for contents. organization and presentation in ICBIC 18th, Florianópolis, Brazil.
- Complete list of Honors and Awards.
Research Interests and Experience
Synthesis of polynuclear Cu(II), Co(II), Mn(II), and Ni(II) complexes used in the DNA cleavage and anticancer.
Monitoring the environmental pollution caused by chlorinated hydrocarbons and petroleum hydrocarbons in biota and sediment samples using gas chromatography technique. [Certified Trainee by Marine Environment Laboratories (Monaco) International Atomic Energy Agency] 1992-1998.
Extraction and removal of pollutants from environmental samples and removal of oil spills from environmental systems.
Fabrication of microsensors for direct electrochemical measurements of nitric oxide, superoxide and peroxynitrite in biological samples from rats, mice and rabbits.
Synthesis of surfactants that can be used for preventing pesticides and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons from penetrating the soil layer and reach the plants roots.
Synthesis of porphyrin analogs and metal complexes that can be used as coatings for microsensors.
Dye removal using ecofriendly adsorbents.
Extraction and purification of β-carotene and ascorbic acid from different types of algae. Characterization of these antioxidants using high performance liquid chromatography and spectrophotometric techniques.
- Hands on GC, GC-MS, Atomic absorption, ICP, and UV-vis instruments.
Selected Recent Publications:
Klerks, P. L.; Kascak, A.; Cazan A. M.; Deb Adhikary, N.; Chistoserdov, A.; Shaik,A.; Osman, S. Y.; Louka, F. R. “Effects of the razor clam Tagelus plebeius on the fate of petroleum hydrocarbons; a mesocosm experiment” Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology in press 2018.
Massoud, S. S.; Louka, F. R.; Ducharme, G.; Fischer, R.; Mautner, F. A.; Vanco,J.; Herchel, R.; Trávníček, K.; “Copper(II) complexes based on tripodal pyrazolyl amines: Synthesis, structure magnetic properties and anticancer activity” Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry. 2018, 108, 36-46.
Louka, F. R.; Junk, T.; Massoud, S. S., “DNA Cleavage by Bicompartmental Dinuclear Metal(II) Complexes”. J. Biolog. Inorg. Chem. 2017, 22, S137-S137.
Louka, F. R.; Massoud, S. S.; Haq, T. K.; Henary, M. M.; Vicente, R.; Fischer, R. C.; Mautner, F. A. “Synthesis, structural characterization and magnetic properties of one-dimensional Cu(II)-azido coordination polymers” Polyhedron. 2017, 138, 177-184. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.poly.2017.09.035
Louka, F. R.; Osman, S. Y.; Terracina, T.; Khamidullina, N. “Assessing Ecofriendly Wastes in Removal of Pyrene as a Model of Oil Spills” International Journal of chromatography and separation techniques 2017, 1, J102-106.
Massoud, S. S.; Williams, G. F.; Louka, F. R.; Henary, M. M.; Herchel, R.; Trávníček, K.; Fischer, R. C. Mautner, F. A. “Croconato-bridged copper(II) complexes. Synthesis, structure and magnetic characterization” New J. Chem., 2017, 41, 3846-3856. http://dx.doi:10.1039/C6NJ03943J
Massoud, S. S.; Louka, F. R.; Mautner, F. A. “Structural characterization of metal(II) thiocyanato complexes derived from bis(2-(H-pyrazol-1-yl)ethyl)amine” Polyhedron 2017, 124, 237-242.
Satbhai, K. M.; Louka, F. R.; Klerks, P. L. “Individual and combined effects of petroleum hydrocarbons phenanthrene and dibenzothiophene on reproductive behavior in the amphipod Hyalella azteca” Journal Water, Air & Soil Pollution 2017, 228: 91. DOI 10.1007/s11270-017-3276-x
- Complete List of Publications.
Selected Recent Meetings
Louka, F. R.; Malinski T. International Conference on Chemistry Progress for Sustainable Development’ (ICCPSD 2017), Alexandria, Egypt, September 23 — 27, and Swedish Institute, Alexandria, Egypt 2017. “Endothelial Cells Dysfunction and Cardiovascular System Life Span”
Louka, F. R.; Junk, T.; Massoud, S. 18th International Conference on Biological Inorganic Chemistry, Florianópolis, Brazil, July 31- August 4, 2017. “DNA Cleavage by Bicompartmental Dinuclear Metal(II) Complexes” Awarded the outstanding contents, organization, and presentation by Royal Society of Chemistry Books.
Louka, F. R.; Malinski T. World Congress and Expo on Nanotechnology and Nanoengineering, Dubai, UAE, March 25-29, 2017 (Invited speaker, Chair of a session). “Assessing nano-sensors in determination of the degree of endothelial dysfunction and lifespan of the cardiovascular system””
Klerks, P. L.; Cazan A. M.; Kascak, A.; Shaik, A.; Deb Adhikary, N.; Chistoserdov, A.; Louka, F. R. Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC) World Congress / SETAC North America 37th Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL, Nov 6-10, 2016. “Effects of razor clams and ghost shrimp on the distribution and fate of hydrocarbons in nearshore environments”
- Complete List of Meetings.
Recent Research Proposals
- PI of a proposal submitted to STEP Technology Fee. “Economical Micro scale Equipment in Chemistry Labs” Submitted July, 2015. $ 16,843.41
- PI of a proposal submitted to Louisiana Board of Regents. “Enhancement of Metal Analysis by Inductively Coupled Plasma Optical Emission Spectrometry in Chemistry and Biology Research and Education” Submitted October, 2014. $99,830
- PI of a proposal submitted to Marion Milligan Mason Award for Women in the Chemical Sciences - Application. “A Step Towards Healthier Environment Using EconoTrace Parallel SPE System” Submitted September, 2014. $35,150.45
- Instructor Mini-grant “Enhancement of Instrumental Analysis Laboratory Techniques” Funded October, 2014. $849.00
Instructor Mini-grant “Enhancement of Teaching Techniques in Chemistry Lectures”
Funded December, 2012. $ 475.00.
- Co-PI of a proposal submitted to Gulf of Mexico Research Initiative (GoMRI). “The effect of sediment bioturbators on the biological degradation of petroleum in coastal ecosystems” Funded August, 2012. $1,025,091
- Complete List of Research Proposals
The Spring 2018 Undergraduate research students include:
- Taylor Terracina* - Chem 462
- Wesley Davis* - Chem 362
- Alexandra Arcement* - Chem 362
- Luke C. Konur - Chem 362
- Ashley T. Nguyen - Chem 362
- Kristin L. Pacetti - Chem 362
- Ashley G. Lambert Dolmo - Chem 362
A complete list of all former Undergraduate Research Students is available.
Activities and Services
- Supervises undergraduate research (all students in my group either persuade their studies in graduate school, medical, pharmacy or chemical engineering school).
- Advisor for pre-pharmacy students since 2007.
- An active member in Department and University Committees and Community Service
- Complete List of Activities.